Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Kitchener Mermaid Cake Smash - I'm One Now!

I have to talk to you about bucket lists. :-) Many of us photographers secretly have a "Bucket List" of sessions we dream of photographing one day. And when that special client comes along and plucks at your heart strings requesting one of your beloved bucket list sessions, there is only one thing to do! Go big or go home! lol

I present to you, one of my bucket list sessions! A Mermaid Cake Smash & Splash! For those of you who don't know what this is, let me explain...

Firstly, a Cake Smash is a photoshoot that has become wildly popular over the past 5-7 years. It is done when a wee babe is turning ONE, and along the way has become a silent rite of passage you could say. Photographing this milestone is an absolutely wonderful way of capturing some glorious memories of a big stage in their life. The toddler years are coming, and they will continue to change and grow so fast. It's great to have memories like this. They could come in handy one day at their wedding..... ;-)

At my studio, it starts off with a few portraits in one outfit, and then we change the Birthday Boy/Girl into a special outfit that usually matches any theme we have put together. There are tonnes of birthday themes parents can select. It can be anything from child's current interests, so something that might be currently trending to their very favourite foods! This year Unicorns, and Doughnut Smashes have been wildly popular. Once adorning said outfit, we plop a beautiful and tasty cake in front of the Birthday boy/girl and let them smash and/or eat to their hearts content, all while I photograph the excitement! We finish the session of with a Splash in my customized, toddler sized claw foot tub, which is always requested by parents!

I always seem to have best results when children have had the opportunity to play with food at home, get a little messy and have fun. But that isn't always the rule! I have definitely had some "smashers" come in with little to no experience having something as grand as a cake in front of them. Those sessions are usually pretty hilarious, as myself and Mom & dad sit on pins and needles with anticipation for what comes next!

In this particular blog post, I will show you a MERMAID theme! Ooooh am I excited to show you! Little Miss B was absolutely wonderful during this session. She laughed, smiled and played. Her big brother was such a cutie! The whole family came to celebrate and I think it's safe to say we all had a very good time. :-) A very big thank you goes to Mum for helping plan such an awesome shoot, finding the perfect outfit and accessories and in the process, knocking one off the ol' Bucket List!

Tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment